숙명여자대학교

sitemap open

사이트맵

menu open menu close

News

NEWS

The 11th Korean-American Alumni Association Reunion Held in Five Years in Washington, D.C.

• Views 50
  • Writer 커뮤니케이션팀
  • 보도일자 2024-04-15

The alumni of Sookmyung Women's University (SWU) living in the U.S. gathered together to attend the 11th Korean-American Alumni Association (hereinafter referred to as the “KAAA”) Reunion held in Washington, D.C. from Apr. 12–14.

The alumni living in the U.S. have been promoting friendship and contributing to SWU in various ways through the KAAA, which marked the 25th anniversary this year.

The KAAA Reunion was participated in by numerous Korean-American alumni from 12 branches, including KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk (Education, Class of 1972) and Chairperson Yi Jeong-hui (Food and Nutrition, Class of 1971), and their families as well as the delegate from Korea including SWU President Chang Yunkeum, President of the General Alumni Association Kim Gyeong-hui, and Director of External Affairs & Communication Jeong Ki-eun.

Starting with congratulatory video messages from students, alumni, and faculty members, the 11th Korean-American Alumni Association Reunion opened with the Bucahechum (Korean fan dance) and Bukchum (Korean drum dance) performances of the Peace Mission Korean Dance Group led by Park Jeong-suk (Sports, Class of 1981). Following the welcoming speeches of KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk and Chairperson Yi Jeong-hui, SWU President Chang Yunkeum delivered a congratulatory address, followed by the introduction of the SWU development plan. In addition, a new promotional video of Sookmyung Women's University was presented in front of the alumni.

SWU President Chang said, "Women can change the world with their power and confidence. The alumni of Sookmyung should protect and support each other." 

SWU President Chang Yunkeum is awarding an appreciation plaque to the alumni who contributed to the 11th Korean-American Alumni Association Reunion. (from left) KAAA Chief Vice Chairperson Kim Yeong-ran, KAAA Chairperson Yi Jeong-hui, SWU President Chang Yunkeum, and KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk

SWU President Chang awarded an appreciation plaque to KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk, Chairperson Yi Jeong-hui, and Chief Vice Chairperson Kim Yeong-ran (Vocal Music, Class of 1986) who contributed to the 11th Korean-American Alumni Association Reunion. The special achievement award went to Hwang Gemma (Home Economics, Class of 1959), Yi Yeong-seon (Pharmacy, Class of 1964), and the late Yi On-hui (Korean Literature, Class of 1959) who contributed to the development of SWU. Yi Hyo-u (French Literature, Class of 1976) and Yi Hyeon-su (Political Diplomacy, Class of 1983) were awarded the proud global Sookmyung alumni award for their contribution to realizing the harmony of overseas SWU alumni and raising the global status of SWU.

The KAAA awarded an appreciation plaque to former President Park Bang-ja (Commercial Science, Class of 1964), former Chairperson Sim Ji-su (English Literature, Class of 1987), former President Kim Eun-ja (English Literature, Class of 1966), and former Chairperson Kim Gyeong-ja (English Literature, Class of 1968). A special appreciation plaque went to the late Yi On-hui, Yi Yeong-seon, KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk, Kim Ik-sun (Piano, Class of 1961), and Kim Geum-nim (Home Economics, Class of 63). 

Part 2 began with a congratulatory performance by the Shalom Saxophone Ensemble consisting of four saxophonists including the husband of Kim Sun-ok. Yonsei University Male Choir also presented a performance in the middle of Part 2.

(from left) KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk, President Song Yeong-hye, Chairperson Yi Jae-sun, and Chairperson Yi Jeong-hui

At the general assembly held in Part 2, KAAA President Seok Gyeong-suk delivered the SWU flag to North America Branch Chairperson Yi Jae-sun (Vocal Music, Class of 1978) and President Song Yeong-hye (Food and Nutrition, Class of 1975) who will lead the 12th Korean-American Alumni Association. The alumni who attended made donations for the development of SWU at the reunion. 

After dinner, a talent show of the alumni with various types of performances followed. Various performances, such as vocal solo and ensemble performances presented by the alumni and their families added excitement to the event. The alumni said their goodbyes to each other, promising that they would meet again two years later at the 2026 Korean-American Alumni Association Reunion in San Francisco. 

On Apr. 13, "Sookmyung Homecoming Day: The 50th Graduation Anniversary" was held for alumni who are celebrating their 50th anniversary or more years after graduating from SWU. SWU President Chang gifted Snowflake dolls and school brooches to the 29 alumni who attended to show respect. Over 100 alumni from the U.S. graced the occasion with their presence. 

Yi Jeong-hui (Food and Nutrition, Class of 1971) said as an alumni representative, "Wearing the graduation gown and cap again, I get sentimental, and my heart flutters. I realize again that the pasts of our lives are precious. I still feel young like it's 50 years ago. I'm encouraged to live the later part of my life more proactively with my pride as a Sookmyung alumna."